Installation Instructions for Assembled Fabric Expansion Joints
Fabric expansion joints can be shipped in a variety of conditions to allow for the most economical installation. In certain instances, it is practical to ship joints fully assembled ready to drop into place. In other cases where access is limited or joint size exceeds normal shipping constraints, the joint can be broken down into small segments and then assembled in place at the job site.
U.S. Bellows will provide the appropriate detailed storage, handling, and installation instruction based on how the expansion joint is shipped.Please use these instructions for assembled fabric expansion joints in conjunction with the approved drawing provided by U.S. Bellows.
- Confirm dimensional data per U.S. Bellows’ approved drawing.
- Confirm duct/duct flanges are in good condition.
- Confirm duct/duct flanges are lined up correctly (ensure that lateral displacement and angular movement do not exceed agreed specifications)
- Prior to installing the expansion joint frames, the opening into which the expansion joint will be installed must be inspected to verify that the opening is in accordance with design tolerances. The expansion joint is not designed to accommodate installation misalignment, unless clearly specified as a design requirement.
- Make available the following tools/equipment to simplify the installation:- Suitable/safe scaffolding
- Lifting equipment (fork lift, crane, hoist)
- Come along
- Pry Bar