When doing a single ply splice on fabric expansion joint FLEXXCEL material, U.S. Bellows recommends that a test splice be performed first . Experience has shown fluoropolymers can be processed and used at elevated temperatures without hazard if proper ventilation is used. Make certain all heat sealing is performed in well ventilated areas. Make certain the heat sealer is safely handled during use. The heat sealer temperature will reach 725°F in normal operation. Special care must be taken with the heat sealer during handling due to the high temperature.
Equipment required to splice FLEXXCEL materials:
1. Heat Seal Iron
2. Backer Board
3. FLEXXCEL belting material
4. PFA Heat Sealing Film
5. ensureAsplice product
8. Blade Knife
9. Tape Measurer
10. Marking Pen
Heat Seal Iron Operation
To operate the Heat Seal Iron, follow these instructions:
1. Plug the unit into an electrical outlet.
2. Place the Heat Seal Iron on the FLEXXCEL
3. Backer Board or another insulated surface.
4. Push the toggle switch up to the “on” position.
5. Set the temperature by turning the dial to the desired temperature. A temperature range of 700°-740°F (370-385°C) is typical for splicing FLEXXCEL materials.
The unit contains two lights, a “heat up” light and a “ready” light. The “heat up” light will remain lit until the unit reaches the set temperature, at which point the “ready” light will go on.