This universal expansion joint is designed with 5″ thick refractory-lining for a 52″ pipe in a Styrene Plant in Thailand. It measures 154″ long and is fabricated with ASTMA 304H stainless steel pipe ends and Incoloy 800H bellows. The expansion joint is designed for a lateral movement of 6.982″ with a design pressure of 30 psig at 1085°F. The bellows and pipe longitudinal seams and the pipe circumferential welds were x-rayed. All welds were also dye penetrant examined. A pneumatic test between the plies at 15 psig and the complete expansion joint at 45 psig was performed. The carbon steel surfaces were coated with a special three-coat paint system after testing and prior to shipment.
U.S. Bellows created a model cut-out section of a refractory-lined FCCU expansion joint for flue gas or catalysts service. U.S. Bellows can bring this model to your facility for a lunch and learn: contact our team for assistance.
- Pressure Gauge – to monitor the pressure between the plies
- Inconel 625 LCF Two-ply Testable Bellows with Wire Mesh between the Plies – the wire mesh ensures flow from one side to the other side across the convolutions
- Carbon Steel Cover – pressure sealing in the even of bellows leak
- Control Rods – limits thermal movement
- 304 Stainless Steel Test Port / Valve – connection for air test of bellows
- Fire Blanket / Kaowool – keeps the bellows temperature above the dew point temperature of the flue gas (350°F to 450°F)
- Carbon Steel Lifting Lug – facilitates lifting
- Carbon Steel Shell
- 5″ Thick Vibra Cast Refractory – reduces shell temperature to 350°F
- 3/8″ Thick 304 Stainless Steel Liner with 3/4″ Thick Abrasion Resistant Refractory
- Ceramic Fiber Bellows Packing – reduces bellows temperature to under 1000°F
- 309 Stainless Steel Hose Braid Packed with Ceramic Fiber – seals the liner gap to prevent the catalyst from collecting in the bellows
- 304 H Stainless Steel – insulation box
- 304 H Stainless Steel Refractory V Anchors – secures refractory to pipe
This rectangular metallic expansion joint is fabricated with 321 stainless steel bellows and Cor-ten flanges. The inside of this unit is lined with both vibra cast and abrasion resistance refractory. The dimensions are 65″ x 81″ x 41-1/2″ overall length and the assembly weighs 3,900 lb. All welds are 100% dye penetrant examined and the design conditions are 1400°F with 5 PSIG.
286" O.A.L. Expansion Joint Designed for the Regenerator Stand Pipe
163" O.A.L Expansion Joint Designed for the Reactor Stand Pipe
U.S. Bellows, Inc. specially designed and manufactured two 55″ O.D. refractory lined universal gimbal expansion joints for a refinery in Joliet. These expansion joints are equipped with slotted hinges with an overall length of 163″ and 286″ respectively. The 163″ O.A.L. expansion joint, designed for 60 PSIG and 1020°F, will be used at the reactor stand pipe of the refinery. The 286″ O.A.L. expansion joint will be used for the regenerator stand pipe of the refinery and it is designed for 57 PSIG and 1300°F. Both expansion joints consist of a A516 Gr70 pipe, two SB-443 two-ply bellows and a slotted hinge.
To ensure quality, 100% dye-penetration, 100% x-ray and pressure tests were performed on the bellows. Pneumatic and vacuum tests were also conducted on the expansion joints and between bellows dry plies prior to shipping.
48” dia. Refractory Lined Expansion Joint for a Chemical Plant in Ecuador
U.S. Bellows, Inc. designed and fabricated a Refractory Lined Expansion Joint with pentographic linkages for a chemical plant in Ecuador. This expansion joint was designed for 60 PSIG and 1450 °F with a 4” thick refractory installed per UOP specifications. The bellows was constructed from SB-443 Inconel® 625, and the weld ends, hinges, pantographic linkages, and floating ring were made from A516-70.
The bellows, weld ends, and spool long seam welds were 100% X-rayed and 100% dye-penetrant tested per ASME standards. A pneumatic test was performed at 15 PSIG for the entire expansion joint assembly prior to shipping.