U.S. Bellows custom designed these hinged expansion joints for a Polyolefin process which produces High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) resin at a chemical plant. Polyolefins are a family of polyethylene and polypropylene thermoplastics. The job included expansion joints ranging from 12″ to 32″ NPS. The units pictured above have a nominal pipe size of 16″. The bellows and liner were fabricated from 304 stainless steel and the flanges, cover, and hardware from carbon steel. They are designed for an operating temperature of 176°F at 145 psig and 1° of angular movement. The expansion joints were 100% dye penetrant tested, the bellows longitudinal seam welds were 100% X-rayed, PMI examined, and hydro-tested prior to shipment.
Live Expansion Joint Webinar
• U.S. Bellows – Expansion Joints In-depth
• May 13, 2021 – Thur. – 10 am CDT
*Live Webinars are worth 1 P.E. / PDH Credit for TX Professional EngineersSign Up Now
Expansion Joint Application and Design
Our Expansion Joint course was developed for the following disciplines…
- Piping system designers that may decide to use expansion joints
- Expansion joint designers use the information provided by piping system designers to determine the best design to meet the requirements.
- Designers that use modern software systems to evaluate different options
- Engineers / Managers: field, maintenance, process, operations, construction, surveyors
*This online course is approved for 8 hrs. P.E. CreditsRegister Now